Wednesday, April 29, 2009

SAT Tests

Before Easter break, we had Stanford Achievement Testing at school. I was (still am) nervous about this years results. We haven't gotten them back yet. I'm not sure how long it will take to get the scores back. I think it took 6 weeks last year. That would mean I have a month yet to wait. I'm nervous because this is the 1st year in a loooooooong time that there has only been 1 first grade at our school. That means that the test results for the first grade are completely MY fault/responsibility. Before, I always had the other teacher to blame share the responsibility of the education of the 1st graders. This year - it's all me. That makes me nervous because the parents and the principal all believed that I could teach these cherubs all by myself and could still turn out great results.

I looked through the "lower" ones before I sent them to the office. They did okay - or at least what I expected based on their performance in class. But I don't know exactly how these tests are scored. I just need to relax and know that I did my best with God's help to teach and train these cherubs this year, but still - waiting for those results in black and white make ya kind of nervous!!

On to some funny things, though. After the first day, Little Man told me, "This is a waste of my time. I know all this stuff. It is too easy." When I talked to his teacher, she said he was getting most of the answers correct the first day, but that he was also still working hard and wasn't acting bored.

The second day, Princess was a little concerned because day 2 had been the math day. She is not as good at math as she is with reading and other things. Her biggest problem is that she thinks TOO much and ends up second-guessing herself a lot.

The third (and final) day had Little Man in a tizzy. He was all upset at his classmates. He told me, "Momma, you won't believe how not smart (we don't use the word stupid for people) those kids in my class are. They thought that you would use a RULER to help you cook. Everyone knows you use a measuring cup!!" Poor Little Man - not every kindergartner is as involved in cooking and baking as you are! I didn't have a response for that (my brain was mush after 3 days of testing, too), so I just let it go.

As soon as we get the results back, I will publish a post. It will probably be at the end of May. I know you all are on pins and needles, just like me (just kidding)!!

5 comments:

Susan said...

I always disliked testing. I hope that your cherubs did well. I'm sure they did. That is a whole lot of pressure for a teacher though. Looking forward to hearing the results.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the tests results are good, I can imagine how scary that can be. Good luck.

HandyFamily said...

Our school did CAT testing this year as well. Thankfully we did them early and we have the results back already. Hope yours do as well as mine! All 2 of them! Think Happy Thoughts!

Leah said...

They are doing the same testing at Ty's school right now - he had Reading Monday and Math Tuesday.

Do you think it's a lot of pressure for young kids to be tested like that or is it not so bad? Ty usually does well, so I'm not worried about it.

AndreaLeigh said...

i'm sure you did fine! you are a great, dedicated teacher and the results will show that.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin